Pages

Kim's Interview With ELLE Magazine - Kim Talks Kardashian Kollection, New Baby Line & Cutting Her DIOR Dress

Monday, February 10, 2014


It's easy to forget, given Kim Kardashian's penchant for Givenchy, Alaïa, and Dior (even when it's cut in half), that this is a girl who loves a high-low mix. When asked on Twitter if she'd ever clothe baby Nori in Target (a fair question given the amount of custom Céline and Lanvin this baby's received), Kardashian replied "Absolutely! She wears everything… Kids grow so fast. You need affordable clothes!"
And lest we forget, Kim and her sisters still put out their affordable line for Sears, the Kardashian Kollection. Below, we checked in with Kim to get the scoop on Kardashian Kollection spring 2014 (it's in stores as of this week), its vintage-inspired campaign lensed by Cedric Buchet, and what it's like to source style advice over Instagram. And yes, we asked her point blank: Why did you cut that Dior in two?

What was the inspiration for this campaign? What style influences did you look to?
The inspiration behind this campaign was a modern take on the '70s and '80s high fashion cover girl. With bold, dramatic silhouettes, we see that power is sexy.

Tell me about this collection. How would you describe the aesthetic? The inspiration? What kind of woman do you see wearing it? Standout fabrics this spring include embossed floral motifs, textured knits, and soft suiting. We focused on subtle details like lace trim, touches of metals, and the mixing of textures in a single item. We have added pastels, hot pink, coral, and canary yellow to the color palette. With billowy blouses and less structured blazers, the silhouette is feminine—just in time for the warmer temperatures. The line also features timeless basics like a denim jacket and pencil skirts. For the Kollection dresses, which are a favorite every season, we updated them with cut outs and color blocking.

Your style has evolved a lot over the last few years. Can you speak to that?
I have always loved and studied fashion.  As trends evolve and I go through different chapters of my life, it would make sense that my fashion would too.  I believe that just like trends are supposed to continuously shift and evolve, so does one’s personal style. More recently, I find myself experimenting with a lighter color palette, but will always love a perfect black dress—sometimes the occasion just calls for one!

How would you describe your style now?
I’m really into vintage classics with a modern interpretation. Right now, I’m picking styles that feel very romantic, luxurious, and feminine.

Who are your style icons?
Elizabeth Taylor, Carine Roitfeld, and all of the women in my family.

Who are your top three designers right now? 
Azzedine Alaïa, Phoebe Philo from Céline and Riccardo Tisci from Givenchy.

How do you use Instagram to choose your outfits? Can you tell us about why you decided to cut that Dior dress?  I’ll share with my fans the outfits that feel special in some way or pieces that I hope will inspire my fans to think about their own wardrobe in new ways.  I also have fun when fans weigh in on my fashion choices.  Recently, I had them help save me from a last minute fashion mishap and pick another option for a taping of Ellen. As for cutting the pink Dior dress, I believe fashion rules are meant to be broken; inspiration struck, and I went with it.

What other projects do you have in the the works right now? We're working on a kids line we're super-excited about, Kardashian Kids. It's adorable!

(Credit - ELLE Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Archives